A webishop that aims to give a basic introduction of the contrasting philosophies of te ao Māori and te ao Pākeha in relation to health and wellbeing will be held on November 26.
“Through the Māori Looking Glass – becoming part of the ‘other’ world” will be facilitated by HPF’s Māori Health Promotion Strategist, Mereana Te Pere.
The guest speaker will be newly appointed CEO of the Public Health Association of NZ (PHANZ), Grant Berghan.
At the webishop participants will gain tools, knowledge and understanding of the dual worlds. They will learn how, as health promotion practitioners, they are able to safely navigate and connect both worlds, hence becoming more effective as leaders, influencers and participants of/with Māori in the Health Promotion field.
You also have the chance to win one of three scholarships up for grabs for this webinar by just answering a simple question: “What is the difference between a webinar and a webishop”.
As a result of attending this workshop, participants will:
- Have a practical guide to developing and improving Māori Health Promotion practice
- Gain knowledge that will enhance the effectiveness of Health Promoters and Public Health Practitioners who wish to contribute to Māori health outcomes
Discounts are offered for HPF members and anyone who registers will receive a PowerPoint presentation and exclusive access for a limited time to the workshop (with your co-workers) on our YouTube channel.
The webinar has three phases of learning activities – before, during and after the webinar. These include:
- pre-event study and preparation, using resources sent three days prior
- participation in the actual webinar with questions and answers as well as discussion
- after the webinar, participants receive a copy of the powerpoint presentation and other resources used, as well as exclusive viewing of the webinar (with your co-workers) for two weeks in our private YouTube channel, before the video is put into our public HPF channel
- ask follow-up questions to the presenter and/or facilitator during the two weeks after the webinar
COST: $29 for members of HPF, and $49 for non-members.
About the Facilitator:
Mereana Te Pere
(Waitaha, Tapuika, Ngati Ranginui) – Mereana has recently joined the team as a Māori Health Promotion Strategist. She comes to our organisation having worked predominantly in the education sector with Māori and rangatahi. Her future goals are in elevating the skills and knowledge of the work force to better meet the health needs and rights of Māori communities and whānau.
(Nga Puhi, Ngati Wai, Te Rarawa) – CEO of the Public Health Association of NZ (PHANZ). Grant has extensive experience in the health and labour market sectors. More recently he was involved in regional economic development activity in Northland. Grant was also a government appointed member to the Youth Suicide Advisory Panel and a past member of the Maori Advisory Board (Public Health) with the Ministry of Health. In 2017, in conjunction with Dame Margaret Sparrow, he was the recipient of the PHA Public Health Champions Award.