Webinar to boost Pacific health promotion
The re-emergence of Covid-19 in the community in Auckland has put the Pacific community in the spotlight, uncovering the inequities of several decades, caused by underlying determinants such as housing, education, and structural racism.
Pacific health promoters must respond and be part of the solutions to addressing these inequities.
The Health Promotion Forum of New Zealand (HPF) is hosting a webinar next week which will offer a range of tools and approaches to help Pacific health promoters and others who work with Pacific families and communities be more effective in their response to this crisis.
The webinar will specifically:
- scan the political, economic, and cultural context
- outline, refresh, and explore approaches and tools that are most appropriate and effective
- and closely examine our Pacific competencies and leadership on how to transform the health and wellbeing of Pacific communities, as part of our NZ society
To be held on Friday, September 18 from 11.30am to 12.30pm the webinar will be presented by HPF’s Executive Director Sione Tu’itahi and Senior Health Promotion Strategist Dr Viliami Puloka.
Covid-19 forcing a rethink in the approach to Pacific health and health promotion, the webinar will help participants to add a number of tools, such as Pacific health models, in their Pasifika basket of knowledge,” says Mr Tu’itahi.
“As we know, some of these tools, skills and knowledge are unique to Pacific world views, values and beliefs. So, what are some of the things we need to know from the outset that will leverage our work and improve Pacific health outcomes?”.
The webinar has three phases of learning activities – before, during and after the webinar. These include:
- pre-event study and preparation, using resources sent three days prior
- participation in the actual webinar with questions and answers as well as discussion
- after the webinar, participants receive a copy of the powerpoint presentation and other resources used, as well as exclusive viewing of the webinar (with your co-workers) for two weeks in our private YouTube channel, before the video is put into our public HPF channel
- ask follow-up questions to the presenter and/or facilitator during the two weeks after the webinar
COST: $29 for members of HPF, and $49 for non-members.